Natural Home Remedies for Obesity
Simple Natural Solutions to Stop Overeating
Natural Home Remedies for Obesity – Overeating is one of the habits that is too hard to break especially when you are being surrounded by food and feastings. The scarcity of food is not the issue but irrepressible cravings are the main culprit. One of the most difficult health problems we face nowadays is eating in excess, and we even find it hard to establish a balanced diet meal plan. Inactive lifestyle, along with the ever-increasing rate of obesity, goes a long way in explaining our health problems in general.
There are some natural home remedies for obesity that will help you to get rid of overeating without compromising its nutritional benefits. Here are a few ideas to consider.
- Eat slowly. Studies have shown that it takes a human mind 10 to 15 minutes to record the fact that you have eaten. Let’s say you have just finished a hefty meal in five minutes, a part of your mind will dictate you to crave for more food after a couple of minutes even if your stomach is full. If you tolerate this habit, it will lead you to overeating. Avoid this problem by taking your time and a right amount of self-discipline. Practice slow eating by taking no more than two bites per minute, and chew your food thoroughly. In this way, it will help you thwart your cravings.
- Reduce stress eating. Food is the common resort of stressed or nervous people. For them, it is their effective way to pacify their anxiety and depression. However, there are some non-food stress relievers that can be effectively utilized instead of eating in excess. For now, eliminate food items from the places you are most likely to feel stress. For instance, refrain from keeping snacks and candies in your workplace and in your pantry at home. And also stay away from the areas which you think it can drag you to food corners.
- Impose discipline at the grocery store. Make it a habit that each time you go to the grocery, prepare a market list first to monitor not only what you are getting but your budget as well. The problem with most grocers is that they tend to grab every food item they see in the store without even thinking if they will like it or not. When you have a market list, you can plan for your meals and healthy snacks. Impose discipline whenever you shop, and you have to strictly follow what you have listed. I know it’s hard and tempting but never ever let temptation control you otherwise you’ll end up a big loser.
- Maintain smaller meals. Many people who still have the old mindset of having three huge meals per day. But this is not the only way to do things. Having breakfast, lunch, and dinner may be suitable for you as most individuals are accustomed to that pattern already. However, taking smaller portion of your food more frequently is essentially good for our metabolism, and is a lot better than pigging out all at once. In this way, you can establish a good and healthy diet, plus it can prevent overeating. Nevertheless, there are still a lot of people who start their day with a hefty breakfast followed by four small meals spread throughout the day.
- Know real hunger. There are two kinds of hunger a person always encounters: 1.) Physiological hunger, 2.) Psychological hunger. Physiological hunger is known as the ‘real hunger’ and is determined when a person experiences symptoms like stomach growling and lightheadness. Psychological hunger, on the other hand, is experienced when a person’s hunger is all in his mind caused by stress, depression, or boredom. Whenever you have the urge to eat, think carefully whether it is a real hunger or something else. If your hunger is only brought by psychological factors, then distract yourself and find something else that will make you fulfilled without the presence of food.
Compliments of Kshamica Nimalasuriya MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine & Public Health